Zetia (ezetimibe) is used either alone or with other drugs, along with a low cholesterol/low fat diet, to help lower cholesterol in the blood. Reducing cholesterol helps prevent strokes and heart attacks. Ezetimibe works by reducing the amount of cholesterol your body absorbs from your diet.
Generic Zetia may also be marketed as: Ezedoc, Ezetrol, Ezetimibe.
*Zetia® is a registered trademark of Merck.
Zetia 10mg Pills (Generic)
Generic Zetia reduces the amount of cholesterol or other sterols that your body absorbs from your diet. Generic Zetia is used to treat high cholesterol, along with a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. It is sometimes given with other cholesterol-lowering medications. It is also used to treat high blood sitosterol and campesterol along with diet therapy.
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Generic Zetia is usually taken once a day, with or without food.
Try to take Generic Zetia at the same time each day.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Generic Zetia: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- unusual muscle weakness, tenderness, or pain;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- chest pain;
- pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate); or/p>
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.
Less serious Generic Zetia side effects may include:
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- mild stomach pain, diarrhea;
- tired feeling;
- depressed mood;
- runny or stuffy nose, cold symptoms;
- joint pain, back pain; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Generic Zetia will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use Generic Zetia:
- kidney disease;
- a thyroid disorder; or
- if you use steroid medicine or hormones (including birth control pills).
Before taking Generic Zetia, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran);
- colestipol (Colestid);
- colesevelam (Welchol);
- gemfibrozil (Lopid);
- cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune, Gengraf); or
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin).
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Generic Zetia.